Express Entry is a system used by the Canadian government to manage Canadian permanent residence applications for filling labor gaps through certain economic immigration programs.

Express Entry was launched on January 1st, 2015, this immigration system is used to select and communicate with skilled and qualified applicants, it also manages a pool of immigration ready skilled workers.

Express Entry is designed to facilitate express immigration of skilled workers to Canada "who are most likely to succeed economically.



We choose skilled workers based on their skills and ability to contribute to Canada’s economy.

Express Entry manages applications for three economic immigration programs:

  • Federal Skilled Worker Program

  • Federal Skilled Trades Program

  • Canadian Experience Class

Provinces and territories can also recruit candidates from the Express Entry pool through the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) to meet local labour market needs.

*Federal Skilled Worker Program- Federal Skilled Trades Program:

This program has minimum requirements for;

  • Skilled work experience

  • Language ability

  • Education


You must meet all the minimum requirements to be eligible

Selection factors:

  • Age

  • Education

  • Work experience

  • Whether you have a valid job offer

  • English and / or French language skills

  • Adaptability (how well you’re likely to settle here)


English language ability:

  • Meet the required language levels needed for your job for each language ability

  • Writing

  • Reading

  • Listening

  • Speaking


Work experience:

  • have at least 1 year of skilled work experience in Canada, in the last 3 years before you apply—you can meet this in a few different ways:

  • full-time at 1 job: 30 hours/week for 12 months = 1 year full-time (1,560 hours)

  • equal amount in part-time work: for example 15 hours/week for 24 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)

  • You can work as many part-time jobs as you need to meet this requirement.

  • full-time work at more than 1 job: 30 hours/week for 12 months at more than 1 job = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)

  • have gained your work experience by working in Canada while under temporary resident status with authorization to work


According to the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC) Skilled Worker experience means:

  • managerial jobs (skill level 0)

  • professional jobs (skill type A)

  • technical jobs and skilled trades (skill type B)

Your work experience can be in 1 or more NOC 0, A or B jobs.

You must show that you performed the duties set out in the lead statement of the occupational description in the NOC. This includes all the essential duties and most of the main duties listed.


There is no education requirement for the Canadian Experience Class.

If you want to improve your points for immigration purposes, there are 2 ways you can do this.

  • If you went to school in Canada, you can get points for a certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian:

  • secondary institution (high school) or

  • post-secondary institution


  • If you have foreign education, you can get points for:

  • a completed foreign credential and;

  • an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report for immigration purposes from a designated organization showing that your education is equal to a completed certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian:

  • secondary institution (high school) or

  • post-secondary institution